Saturday, February 21, 2009

Nell, Priscilla's mother

My time after school was usually spent at an extended day program on school property. Some days, I was allowed to leave early (thank goodness – no one liked extended day) to go to Nell’s house. I was supposed to practice piano or help Nell with household chores, but more often than not we watched The Brady Bunch or The Facts of Life instead. Nell politely told me that my performance on the piano was improving, but I suspect I will live the rest of my life without someone noting my natural musical inclination. Nell and I had so much fun together. She was my truest confidante, and I could tell her all about my problems, secrets or delights.

I remember once being so angry with Dad and Priscilla: after a birthday party weekend graciously hosted by Priscilla, Dad insisted that I vacuum the basement. I gather that my first effort was less than sincere, and he yelled and screamed at me to vacuum again. I stubbornly holed up in my bedroom instead. When he and Priscilla left the house for some reason, I sneaked out and vacuumed again – this time with a genuine effort to pick up every speck of dirt on the basement floor. After all, I was bored and anxious to rejoin the family in the rest of the house. Dad returned and I shyly apprised him of my latest effort. He was not impressed and he insisted that I had not actually vacuumed a second time. That was it! I returned to my bedroom and called Nell, sobbing. The next day, I went to her house after school, still fuming. She hugged me, assured me that I was in the right, and dismissed my father’s actions as typical parental tyranny. I’m pretty sure that was the day that I decided Nell was my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment